Firstly, where do you want to start the agency? There are a lot of things which come into consideration before you start or think of starting a UX Agency. The country and city you live in and the demand for the field in the region are prime factors to lay out a plan. The next step is the experience you have in the field working on multiple domains and with varied clients.
Since this is subject to the region I am going to put the generic points which will be applicable as basic rules to start a UX design agency.
- To start an agency it is not about if you have a proper place or lavish creative ambiance. It is all about how well you have an understanding of the local and global market about the field and where do you stand among the competitors.
- If you are funded then you can start with a team of like-minded people by giving little ownership in the company and float the agency with legalities.
- If you are a single person with no funding then it is going to be a really hard time. You need to win some clients first and not be too stringent of timelines and cost. You should be available and make things happen. Those clients may refer you to others.
- You have to keep your expenses as less as possible and focus more on sales, bring new clients onboard, retain them, find clients from other places, try a niche in your service like quality at optimum cost, timely delivery.
- Never compare to other agencies who have grown and look posh. Their start story is always different than yours. Think big and start with any kind of client. A client is a one person or a big business, your engagement and delivery should be the same.